Tuesday 3 March 2015

Why it would be heartening to see parents who just let their children be!!

A week spent in the company of toddlers helps a person make a few unbiased but pointed observations. Having watched 4 babies under 3 years in the group, I got to observe 4 extremely different parenting styles. Two mums constantly  hover around their kids to an extent where the kids didn’t run, jump, wade even in the kiddie pool without the mum holding them by the collar. One of the babies who is paranoid of his own shadow already and was taking turns and pointing out a 1mm scar from a fall 6 months earlier. Both these children already seem to be socially awkward, are not confident and constantly look for direction.

One kid is already addicted to a screen at 3 years of age. He wants his fathers phone, uses the word “bored” and asks for the TV or the laptop to watch all those nonsensical online kids channels.

The other mum on the other hand seems to have taken an approach which is something I totally intend on aping if I ever am blessed with babies – she keeps an eye at her baby at all times , is always at hand BUT DOES NOT HOVER. This child is friendly with everyone, observes the world with big beautiful eyes, picks up ants, runs after ducks and already exhibits traits like independence and confidence.

This toddler does not know how to operate a phone, does not have access to television nor has ever been plonked in front of a laptop. EVER. As an older relative expressed shock at this revelation – my cousin (who is the mum in question) promptly replied – “I didn’t watch Cable TV till when I was 13, use a computer till when I was 18 nor owned an iPhone till the age of 30. I still turned out to be extremely well spoken – well read and well educated”.

I had to do research if only I saw the pattern and then I came across this 2007 TED Talk by GEVER TULLY titled "5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Children Do" and it has affirmed what I understood from my observations.



As I watched this video I realised that I had done every single one of the things he listed - and then some.  Isn’t it true that running , jumping, falling and getting hurt, even climbing a tree  teaches a baby  necessary life skills that it need but will not develop if they are not allowed to explore the world and find out for themselves.

Would any parent want that at the cost of a few bumps, cuts and bruises. Afterall, if I’ve heard right – lessons are leant the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment